Sunday, December 10, 2006

Social Networking Fears

Graham Wegner has posted about Social Networking Fears Via The Media on his 'Teaching Generation Z' blog. I tried to add my comment but was rejected, even though I was logged in as SouthOz. So here's my brief comment, Graham.

Hi Graham,
Getting home (very late) from yet another social engagement this week, I opened my copy of The Independent Weekly, of which I am a subscriber, to see your photo and read the article, “Web technology leaves SA schools behind”. Quite a contrast to see the views of fellow 'netblazers' in print during a week of heavy reporting in the local Advertiser on the negatives of social networking. And as Bill points out, such editorials and the like are sure to 'escalate into the future'.

You say 'Unless, (teachers) willingly go online and explore the web and become familiar with the students’ tools of choice … then how are they to teach strategies and offer advice to their students?
I agree. This is a role that needs to be embraced by educators in the 21st century . 'One size fits all' central filtering, blocking access to anything resembling read/write web for educators and students, including teens and young adults, limits these opportunities.

PS I've added my response to your poll on 'Teaching Generation Z'. Should be interesting!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:59 pm

    I had the same experience of trying to respond to a post of Grahams's and being rejected. Wonder what's going on on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time it has happened to me, Jo! I notice that others have been able to post comments. Maybe Graham will be able to solve the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've got an answer - see my latest post but let me know if it isn't Firefox.

    ReplyDelete